Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday's children...

Mondays child is fair of face,
Tuesdays child is full of grace,
Wednesdays child is full of woe,
Thursdays child has far to go,
Fridays child is loving and giving,
Saturdays child works hard for his living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

I am sure everyone has seen a segment on your local TV news channel about "Wednesday Child." I think every broadcasting area carries this segment, identifying children, mostly older children, who are eligible for adoption. In the DC area, there are about a thousand children currently eligible for adoption. That is alot of children who need a "forever family."

My husband and I have always had it in our heart for another child. We love the two biological God gave us, and if we wanted a third, we would adopt the third child. We had not thought about the possibility of putting the adoption idea into action until recently. Ever since the earthquake in Haiti, and seeing the magnitude of the need that Haiti for caring for its children, we have seriously thought about the possibility of adopting a Haitian child. Seeing the children, babies, pulled from the rubble, it breaks our hearts, and we ache to hold those children with our love. Our children are taking notice of the devastation in Haiti. After watching the Hope for Haiti benefit on TV, My 6 year old drew a picture of a Haitian mother and father pulling out a child from the rubble of cement. Her compassionate heart wants to reach out those in Haiti.

Right now, we know is not the time to put in applications to adopt since they are trying to reunite families now. But once we find out which adoption agencies are the best to deal with and legally reputable, and the final costs of the process, we would look into pursuing it. In the mean time, I am starting to put away my 2 year old's out-grown 3T's for possible future use. It may not be for another couple of years till something happens, but we are preparing ourselves, in some small way.

1 comment:

Judy J said...

You and Matt have a special kind of love to reach out to those in destitute situations, like these children in Haiti. There are children in the US who have also lived under tragic and traumatic conditions. When I considered fostering/adopting children in the state system with special needs, I realized that these older children have a most difficult time finding homes. There were circumstances at the time that made it difficult for me to continue to persue that desire, even though I had almost completed the program. Now that I am older, that desire is no longer an option, and I wish I had been able to fulfill it. I pray that God would give you and Matt the desire and ability to persue and accomplish this dream if this is His will for you.