Monday, April 13, 2009

Looking at all of my options - what can I do?

As I am looking at job listings on the internet, I am constantly bombarded with "What am I going to do with my life?" Trust me, it is something I think and pray about everyday. I often wonder where things may lead, and opportunities that may arise. In addition, could I afford to take big leaps and bounds, like moving or even taking on another degree.

My biggest priority right now are my two young daughters. I have one about to go to into kindergarten in the Fall and my youngest is embracing her preschool very well. I enjoy the free time I spend with them. Being a mom will be a role that will remain constant as I look for different work. I have to think about them with every decision that I make.

Since I am still looking for employment, starting a full-time gig of self-employment does run through my mind constantly. I have already joined a freelance site and seeing if my skill set matches with people's needs. I had already worked on a freelance project, and I think something like that would best fit in my life right now. However, I would need to be able to do it constantly, and finding that kind of work all the time would almost be the same as me scouting out the want-ads.

I am also, though perhaps with some hesitation, looking at online law schools. I know that they are only approved for the California Bar, but at least it is a JD. I think I am one of a few folks who would like to go to law school, but not to be a lawyer. I think doing online study would be more convenient and more cost effective. Going to one of those schools would cost between $35,000 to $40,000 for the 4 years rather than paying that for one year at private school around here. Granted, I am in the Mecca of law schools around here. But who is to say that I can't swing by Georgetown to study in the law library, right?

Anyway, I have been thinking about all of these options and wondering what to do with my life - at least while I am still looking!

1 comment:

NoVA Dad said...

Something will come up soon; you just have to be persistent. And it's a good thing that you're looking at different options and not focusing just on one thing - it definitely increases your chances of deciding what to do with the next phase of your life.