Friday, September 5, 2008

Pro-life stance - can it be that bad?

Well, after the dizzy coverage of the election this past week, with the Republican convention and the media circling around Sarah Palin, there has been alot of hard core issues that have been brought up. First and for most, abortion. Obama's campaign started running a radio ad this week with a Planned Parenthood nurse saying that McCain is going to end all abortions because he favors pro-life issues. I guess trying to put the fear in all women that the "option" will be taken away from them if he is elected. Of course, Sarah Palin is very staunch in her stand against abortion, living it in her own life with a baby with down syndrome and a pregnant teenage daughter. I guess the liberal's are mostly attacking her for the "choice" she made for her and her family. Yet I read an amazing statistic this week, that 90% of abortions, or at least 90% of the conceptions that were aborted, were from the mother who chose not to raise a child with down sydrome. With statistics like this,it make me wonder where we are taking this abortion issue, in trying to make a super human race by getting rid of the not so perfect one early.

I know with my personal experience, with being pregnant in my 30's the chance of having a down syndrome child increases. During my last pregnancy, I remember my OB offering me in my first trimester the option of genetic testing, and he said that he felt obligated to tell us that we do have the option to end the pregnancy if the tests came back less than favorable. Both my husband and I said "No" It was not an option for us. We wanted to raise whatever child God blessed us with, because the road to get there was not easy (trying for nearly 3 year to conceive our first was hard enough)and going at it again for another would not be an easy road at all. So, we did not get the testing done and put it at the will of God on the outcome. We were blessed with a healthy baby girl without complications.

Thinking about raising a child with special needs has to be an amazing task for the parents. I truly believe that God gives those children to the people who would be able to take care of them. God chose them to raise that child. Unfortuately, 90% of those mothers don't think of it that way. Several years ago, I was listening to an online broadcast of Dallas talkshow. The host, Humble Billy Hayes, has a child with down syndrome and was asked to speak at a convention in Pittsburg for a national association for down syndrome (or something like that). Anyway, he was making a comment about a speech that he heard at this convention about a woman who "chose" to end her pregnancy once she found out she was going to raise a child with special needs. Apparently she had felt it would have been more of a burden on her and the child bring him/her into the world. I remember Humble interjecting his option after this- and I am paraphrasing - How can she say this child could have been a burden? My child has taught me more that I have him. He has taught me patience, and he is actually the one who has stopped and smell the roses. Well, I remember bawling when I was listening. And alot of his listeners in Dallas were calling in crying too. If there is a way to find this telecast from 1999, I will see if I can so I could post it on my blog. But, needless to say, children with special needs should never be thought of as burdens, but blessings.

No comments: