Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year and New Resolutions

At the end on one year and the beginning of the next, New Year's resolutions are always phenomenal for people like me who always seek to be better. Here are some areas in my life not to mention lifestyle I am trying to do better.

Look at labels when I eat..Really! I know alot of people want to lose weight, and I know I do especially trying to lose this baby weight from 2007! But, for a lifestyle change, I am going to strive to read labels on foods, and get the real dirt on what I eat. What I am particularly interested in, since I have heart disease, is the saturated fat. I have a website here to where I calculated what I should be eating each day in that regard. http://www.nhlbisupport.com/cgi-bin/chd1/step1intro.cgi I vow to do no more than 18 grams a day, as well as restrict my fat and calorie consumption. If I happen lose weight, wonderful!

Run at least 2 races. I know in one of my later blogs, I was striving for a 5k on Dec 31. That never happened yesterday because of my lack of training. Now, our office is moving to new accommodations that include, none other than a gym, free of charge. Finally, a place to where I can go during my lunch break with motivated co-workers and not get up at 4 in the morning for a 40 minute run. So, with my 5k goal and possibly a 10k, I will strive to be strong in the end. Not to mention trying to keep up with my 4 year old and toddler!



Be more Green I know this is hubbub of the day, but in my lazy days of 10 to 15 years ago, we thought those "tree huggers" were a nuisance to society! Now, with fuel prices and energy prices going through the roof, I am learning that it does not hurt to bring bags to the grocery or purchase organic wear, or turn out lights when they are not in use. I think of it as saving the future for our children. It is almost as if I have become a hippy (but not all the way!)

Be more patient. My husband does complain this about me alot of the time. Every time my child yells and throws a fit, I lose my cool too. I need to learn not to fly off the handle on little things and take them for what they are, little things. There are more prevalent things in this world to get mad about, and little things are not it.!!!

Be more in touch with others I think every year I have made this statement as a resolution, whether it is for sending birthday cards or sending out emails more often. I am much of a hermit of sorts, with a busy life and circling around my children. I don't have alot of time to get in touch with old friends or make new ones. I am going to commit a little time each day to catch up or reach out to folks.

These are my reflections of a new and happy new year. Maybe 365 days later, I will see how each of these got accomplished!!

No comments: