Saturday, October 27, 2007

Motivate Me, PLEASE!!

I know I have set myself for something, which I know I can do, but at this point I don't know IF I can do it well. A couple of weeks ago, I signed up to participate in a 5K, the MADD Red Ribbon Run in Fairfax, VA on December 31. I wanted to set a goal for myself, that I would get my post-baby body into shape and try to beat my last time of 31:23. So far, the training for this event is lagging. When planning my home training for this, I wanted to make a goal to run/walk 3 times a week and weight train with "The Firm" system at least twice a week. So far this week I was only able to walk 2 miles and run 1mile. I did not do my Firm DVD at all this week. Now, I have no motivation.

It has been a dreary week this week, all this rain in the Northern Virginia area. So my wanting to go outside for a neighborhood run is off. My treadmill is in fair to poor condition. My tread belt still has its problems. As long as I don't go 7.0 mph on it, it would be okay but that is not ideal for training, especially since it is recommended to an occasional sprint in your runs. Popping in a DVD has not come about this week, somehow trying to do lundges and squats has not appealed to me. The only time of day I have allowed myself to train is in the AM hours. This means setting an alarm for 4:40 am and hopping to it. So far, I have only wanted to get out of bed at 5:30 am, eliminating 50 minutes of workout time. I guess I could schedule this during my lunch breaks or in the evening, but I have not allowed that because I view my lunch time as sacred in time to come home and tidy up the place. Evenings are out because I want to squeeze every minute out with my family, plus I am too exhausted to try to do the treadmill at 9 pm.

Basically, I feel like I need to go the long haul with someone on this. I need someone to help me get out of bed and do those morning jogs on the treadmill and do those tough weight workouts. Since I don't belong to a gym, I don't have network of support. My husband has bad knees, so running is not an option for him, plus we don't have enough room for 2 treadmills in our house to workout side by side. Other than looking for Divine Intervention, motivation is not there. I guess I need to work this out on my own and find my motivation. Any takers?

2 comments:

Judy said...

As I was reading your post I thought about how I did not have the motivation or drive in my younger years to do what you are attempting. I always say that I wish I had taken better care of body when I was younger. Now that I am older, it takes much longer to keep in shape and takes a lot less time to get out of shape (sigh). My body now is suffering from my lack of motivation as a younger woman. I have recently had to go to physical therapy for a chronic back and leg problem that makes it difficult to even walk sometimes. Perhaps if you think about the problems you could avoid and how much better you can feel now with less effort than later in life you might have the motivation you need. I am pulling for you :)

ccb said...

You have always been determined and independent, so I have faith in how this will work out. Just do your best--as always and you will eventually find that motivation!